where do I start?
download the instructions (with pictures!) above, or follow our instructions below, for simple steps to your first tofu creation
1. Soak 500g dried soy beans in 3.5 litres of water overnight or for 8 hours.
2. Blend the beans with the same water in a blender or food processor.
3. Bring the blended beans and water to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes. Use a sieve or the muslin cloth to strain the okara* from the now soy milk.
5. Add juice from one squeezed lemon* to the soy milk and watch it slowly curdle - leave for 15 minutes.
6. Place the Zofu on your kitchen draining board. Put the rinsed muslin cloth into the tofu box, and add the curds.
7. Fold the muslin cloth over the top of the curds and place the lid on, using a weight such as a can or bottle to apply pressure.
8. Leave the Zofu to press the curds for a minimum of ten minutes*. Lift off the lid, and lift up the sides of the Zofu to reveal your block of tofu. Remove the muslin cloth and it's ready to eat. If you want to store your tofu, put it in a tupperware pot submerged in fresh water, and store for a maximum of 2 days in the refrigerator.
* Okara is the blended bean pulp which you put to one side in the tofu making process. This can be frozen then used in other recipes such as falafel, when you have the time.
* You can use more than one lemon, particularly if you like your tofu firm. Don't worry about the flavour - the lemon loses its acidity and therefore is virtually indetectable in your final block of tofu.
* For extra firm tofu, leave to press for 30 minutes.